Wiener dog survives dangerous onion overdose

A summer barbeque turned life threatening for a North Carolina Dachshund:

A great time was had by all – until one of the kebabs landed on the ground. The Princes’ 2 1/2-year-old, 15-pound dachshund, Rommel, rushed in and gobbled down a roasted onion.

Big mistake: In no time, the dog was deathly ill. The Princes had to rush Rommel to the Animal Emergency and Trauma Hospital of Wilmington, at 5333 Oleander Drive.

This story ends happily, Rommel made a total recovery. To do so, however, the dog spent several days at the emergency hospital and at Topsail Animal Hospital. Meanwhile, a quick Internet search showed the Princes they were lucky.

Onions are extremely toxic to dogs in any form: raw, cooked, powdered or dehydrated. Onions contain a chemical called thiosulphate which is harmless to people; however, dogs (and cats) lack the ability to digest it. In a dog’s body, it can cause red blood cells to rupture, leading to a potentially life-threatening form of anemia. Eating a little pizza with onions, or a bit of onion might not be harmful, since thiosulphate’s effects are dose-dependent. Eat enough, however, and the animal might soon show vomiting and diarrhea.