NWF Daily News has all the details:
Buddy was immediately transported to the Emergency Veterinary Clinic in Niceville, where he stayed before being taken on Monday to Companion Animal Hospital in Fort Walton Beach.
“We didn’t think he would make it,” said Dr. Heather Hartley, because the snake’s venom had spread so thoroughly through Buddy’s little body.
Enter Fergie, a 3-year-old yellow Labrador retriever who had been at the hospital for about two weeks.
Hartley said the young lab had been rescued and placed there by the Fort Walton Beach-based Emerald Coast Golden Retriever Rescue organization. Despite its name, members of the group work to adopt out retrievers of all breeds.
Veterinary staff drew 150 milliliters of life-saving blood from Fergie, and it was then transferred to Buddy in a three-hour procedure. Though dogs have different blood types, Hartley explained, “it is not as type-specific as it is in humans.”